Friday, November 27, 2015

Grace is for everyone

I saw this sign along a road in front of a church and smiled. Grace IS for everyone.
Yep. Even me.
I'm a mess of imperfection, faulty actions, judgment of others and unruly behavior. I drink too much. I am present too little.
And yet, I too get grace.
And so do you.
Time with family around the holidays can be fraught with complicated feelings. Years of hurt swept under the rug can trip us up. Memories of loved ones who have passed can cloud our decision making. Silly comments or ill-timed jokes can send us spinning...especially when we're the ones making them.


And you, like me, might be lying awake thinking of what you could have said or done differently. The messenger of clarity has come and refuses to leave.
But my grace IS sufficient for me.
My power is made perfect in weakness.
Kick the messenger out the door with a thank you and a hug (that part of you needs grace too).
And tomorrow. New mercies.
You might not feel the earth spinning, but it's taking you along to a perfectly glorious, new day.
It's been a year of grief, illness and immense change. I'm on a new path with a tribe of lovers holding my hands and encircling me with strength. Now is the time to draw on that well of love.
Go to sleep little Heather. You mean well and try so hard.
Wild Geese by Mary Oliver
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -
over and over announcing your place
In the family of things.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...